Sketch of a Rose 2

Actually, these were my attempts at adding colour to the rose. This is where I fell...

Attempt #1: in watercolour. 
The result had a heavier feel than I was going for. 
It was 'messy' and the colours came out very neon.  

Attempt #2: in coloured pencil.  
The result was somewhat flat and had a constructivist, or 
overly geometric, look. Not at all the flowy feeling I wanted. 

Attempt #3: in watercolour again.
I exercised far more patience with this one.  
That made a tremendous difference.  Also, I used 
a shorter palette and achieved contrast by layering.
This experience with watercolours was more 
satisfying, but I still wasn't happy with the result. *laugh*

If you were wondering about the pencil markings in the lower right corner of the images, those are the beginnings of a second rose that was meant to complete the picture.
It is just as naked (read: unpainted) now as it was there. I wanted it to be white. While I can hazard a guess as to how one might paint a white rose in watercolour, I am  quite confident that I lack the confidence and, for the moment, ability to do so.
I'd like to think: as long as my interest in the medium persists–and it does!–there is hope.

PS There is nothing as hilariously ridiculous, frustratingly tedious and ridiculously frustrating, all at the same time!, as formatting on the internet.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can 'feel' the structured-ness in Attempt #2, but I rather like it. However, I liked 3 the best. It was a bit.. Monet-ish... and dreamy... I think a little 'blearing' would help too. I am not sure if you want this 'method' in your picture, but I've found that faded splotching adds romance to the rose. Picture. :) Hehe. I LOVE your work!

Lady Penguin said...

Thank you for your kind words!
I only `just` discovered your Pooh-blog. And as I couldn't find anywhere to comment, and I mustly-must comment, I will do it here.
It is such a lovely page and in a style most befitting the tenderness, coziness and wonderfulness inspired by the residents of 100 Acre Wood.